Blog

9/27/2015 8:42:32 AM

A is for apples and abundance.

Shea Ketcham / 1 Comment

My husband made a remark that got me thinking about why I love painting apples.  He thinks the pastel paintings are well done, but he doesn't understand why I choose to paint fruit.    

 

I just love a fresh, crisp, juicy apple.  I look forward to fall's new harvest of apples and we always have apples in the fridge.  I love apple pie, apple crisp, baked apples, apple cider, applesauce.....pretty much anything apple!  I love their color variation and I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of painting their nuanced colors and shapes in pastels.  But, for me, there's a deeper meaning/message here.

 

The painting's subject reflects the abundance in our lives.  

 

I think it's safe to say the abundance in our lives is so abundantly abundant that sometimes we take our abundance for granted.  Yup, I'm guilty.  A change of circumstances approximately a year and a half ago brought that clearly into focus for me.  The recent news stories about refugees leaving their homeland to find a safe harbor has reminded me there is a stark contrast between their lives and ours.  Abundance, for us, is everywhere.

 

My abundance/blessings start with the fact that my twin sister is well and happy; my husband supports and encourages my art making; we have lovely family and friends; we have a wonderful home with two healthy little cats; we are well; we have food in our pantry; our cars run; our bills are paid on time; our water is clean; we both have jobs (I have a full-time job that supports my art habit!); we live in a small, progressive college town....the list is endless.  

 

When you look at my art, the subject I've chosen is something I consider beautiful and want to honor.  That subject is also a celebration of the abundance in my life.  (And I do mean the abundantly abundant abundance.)  I hope you see that I adored the crisp, juicy apple or I was gobsmacked by mother nature's beautiful scenery, or I was intrigued by a small vignette of leaves.  I hope you feel my sense of joy and gratitude for these treasures the natural world provides and for the opportunity to paint them.         

 

If you feel so inclined....leave a message about your abundance or your art.  What inspires you?      

 

May the universe be gentle and generous with you. 

 

Next Blog:  B is for Beauty.      

 

 

 

 

 

Read More