Blog

8/13/2015 11:09:58 PM

Framed......to be or not to be.....

Shea Ketcham / 2 Comments

Framed.....frame of reference.....in the right frame of mind.  

 

Let's face it.  As artists, everything we do is "framed".  That's why some people are drawn to our work (no pun intended) and others are not.  The people who are ultimately intrigued with our art probably share a similar frame of reference.  They get it......it gels with them.....they feel what we feel.  And that's good.  

 

Our art is framed by our talents, insights, life experiences, choice of medium, friends, internal struggles, our definition of beauty or significance, and maybe even that day's breakfast.  Our artwork is our signature; it's easily identifiable as no other artist shares all of these intrinsic ingredients...let's call them.  These intrinsic ingredients drive us forward and we create our art.    

 

This is all fantastic.  However, for me, there is an eventual disconnect in the making of my art.  What is that disconnect you ask?  One word - framing.

 

Would you agree?  So we create this masterful work of art, and now (at least in my case as I work in pastels) the question is:  How will I frame it?  Do I frame it with a simple gold frame that enhances the effect of a sunny day?  Do I use a black frame to create a dramatic background for the piece?  Do I use a silver frame because that's what I have available?  What about a metal frame and mat?  Or would a simple black wood frame with an archival mat show off the piece to greatest advantage?  

 

Here's why this part is difficult for me:  everything about this piece of art is about my frame of reference, but now the maddening question that torments me is.......what frame will work for my collector?  What frame will work in his/her home?  What's the right frame of mind here?  I don't know!

 

Recently I had a collector tell me he didn't like the frame I used on a piece he purchased.  The funny thing was, I wholeheartedly agreed with him.  I thought the frame didn't give the piece any "breathing" room.    

 

Which frame do you prefer and why?  The comments section is open....operators are standing by!  Thank you for taking time to comment.  The framing of art is a constant challenge.  Any help or insight you can provide will be much appreciated! 

 

 

Read More